Spring is here – and for you, that means the bike is coming out of the garage. As the days get longer, and the sunshine more reliable, there’s nothing like the winding country roads enjoyed on two wheels with the wind in your face. You can’t wait to trade your stuffy car for the freedom of your motorcycle.
Yeah, you get a bit clunky after four, five months in a car seat instead of in the saddle, but after a couple of road trips, everything falls back into place.
You are a safe rider Leather gear, even in 90 degree weather. You took your Motorcycle Safety course. Granted, that was a few years ago… Should probably renew that one.
Then, there is the insurance. That’s the one… Motorcycle insurance. If you own a Motorcycle, it’s important to have the right insurance. To protect yourself. So before you get ready to chase the wind, give us at Bunnell Hitchon Insurance Brokers Inc. a ring 519-756-2200. We can provide you with quotes, policy advice, and answers to questions like these:
- Is my motorcycle covered under my auto insurance?
- How can I get a discount on my motorcycle policy?
- What about insurance for mopeds, scooters or ATV’s?
Is my motorcycle covered under my auto insurance?
You have your driver’s license, and just passed your motorcycle license. Finally! You are more than ready to ride with your buddies. Your uncle gave you his old bike, and in many, many hours, you fixed her up and restored her. Now it’s time to take her out.
You never thought much about insurance. In fact, you simply assumed that it’s a motorized vehicle, and therefore covered by your car insurance. Car insurance covers motorized vehicles. Or something… Whatever. It’s motorized, and so your car insurance will automatically cover it. Right?
No! Wrong! Don’t make the mistake to assume that your car insurance will cover your motorcycle, or provide liability coverage if you hurt somebody or damage somebody’s property. Your car insurance will absolutely not extend to your motorcycle.
Your car insurance and your motorcycle are completely separate vehicles and both need to be insured.
What coverage should I buy for my Motorcycle Insurance?
This is it. It’s the bike of your dreams all right! A Harley Davidson Classic Road King. Black Pearl. Chrome details. 1,593cc. You’ve been waiting to get this bike for years… and now she’s about to become yours. You can’t wait to get on and scorch some asphalt.
You hadn’t planned on spending extra money on insurance, though. But now that you’re about to own this baby…. Well, it seems to make sense to protect her properly.
Motorcycle insurance is quite similar to an auto insurance policy. It includes various coverages:
- Bodily Injury / Property Damage Liability Coverage: This coverage applies if you are considered at-fault in causing damage or injury to a third party, up to the limits you select. This can be very important for you, since this coverage helps you protect your own assets.
- Comprehensive / Collision Coverage: This coverage pays for repairs to your bike if it is damaged in an accident, if it’s stolen, or, for example, if it’s damaged or destroyed by a fire.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: If you are in an accident in which the other party is at fault, this coverage will protect you if they don’t have the insurance.
- Accident Benefits/Medical Payments: Medical payments cover the cost of any medical treatment you receive, regardless of who is at fault.
- Roadside Assistance: Provides immediate roadside repair services for break-down, dead battery, flat tire, or running out of fuel, and towing.
Motorcycle insurance will help protect you, your bike, as well as your assets in case you ever find yourself in a liability lawsuit. Bunnell Hitchon Insurance Brokers Inc. can help you protect almost any type of motorcycle, whether it’s a Dirt Bike or a Street Cruiser, a Vintage bike or a customized high-performance machine. Give us a call!
How can I get a discount on my motorcycle policy?
Now, you’ve heard that one can get money-saving discounts on auto insurance (hey, and you even qualify for some!) That makes you wonder… Shouldn’t you be able to get a discount on your motorcycle policy, as well?
Yes you should! And you can! Depending on the company, a variety of discounts are available:
- Claims-Free Discount: If you didn’t have any claims or accidents during the previous policy period, you qualify for this discount when your policy renews.
- Multi-Policy Discount: If you have more than one policy with one company, you may qualify for a multi-policy discount.
- Driver Training Safety Course Discount: Completing a Safety Course can save your life. And offer you a discount on your motorcycle policy. Sign up for a class today.
Keep in mind that your insurance rates depend on your bike’s value, type and brand, its engine size, the level of customization, and the miles driven. A customized street race machine that you use to commute to work will bring you much higher insurance bills than a vintage cruiser that you only use every now and then. As you search for your perfect bike, keep these factors in mind to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call for more information, even before you purchase your bike.
What about insurance for mopeds, scooters or ATV’s?
Now that you’ve found the bike of your dreams, you got your wife hooked: She’d like to do her smaller, around-the-town errands on a little scooter, rather than in the car. Not only does it save gas, but it also gives her this lifestyle feeling as if she were living in a small town in Italy.
Well, you can’t blame her. You knew all along what riding on two wheels can do for your soul.
Question is, how do you insure the little scooter? Does it qualify as a motorcycle at all?
Yes it does! Mopeds and scooters (gasoline-powered) can be insured on a Motorcycle policy. All the same discounts and options apply for big bikes as well as smaller mopeds and scooters.
ATV’s (and snowmobiles, too), on the other hand, take a special place. An ATV may be covered under your automobile policy. There is absolutely no coverage if you take the ATV or Snowmobile off your property and drive it on public roads… even if it’s only across the street unless you have insurance.
We can help with any of it. Just give us a call 519-756-2200.